58% of construction workers believe that listening to music while working improves their motivation and mental health.
Through an analysis of Spotify data and a nationwide survey, Towergate Liability Insurance explored the relationship that those in the construction industry have with music. It reveals tradespeople’s most-favoured artists and genres and how listening to music while working can boost productivity and improve mental health.
In all of the playlists on Spotify – specifically for those in the construction and building industry – the analysis found that rock music was by far the favourite, with 981 appearances, followed by metal with 358. The top five artists are all rock bands:
- AC/DC: 84 appearances
- The Rolling Stones: 63 appearances
- Led Zeppelin: 63 appearances
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: 60 appearances
- Metallica: 50 appearances
Key findings also include:
- 65% of respondents revealed that listening to music while working improves their mood.
- Over half (52%) surveyed said that they listen to more music now than they did before the first lockdown.
- 58% believe that listening to music while working improves their motivation and mental health.
Full details of this study can be found here.